Monday, November 21, 2011

lighten up!

I've been doing a few things in order to lighten my pack weight. I haven't turned into a full-on gram weenie, but there were some pretty easy ways to cut weight. 


First off, my cookset needed to go. I gave up the Soloist for a grease pot from k-mart with a windscreen made out of an oven liner and a pop can stove using bent hangers as a pot stand. Everything fits inside of itself so it's very packable. The best part is that everything in my kitchen (including a lighter) is only 5.24 oz. that's pretty good in my book.




I've also decided to ditch my tent. After reading everything I can find about them, I made up my mind on an 8x10 Outdoor Equipment Supplier silnylon tarp. weighing in at right around 16 oz. 

This was the first time I've pitched a tarp in my life, and I didn't have the guy lines attached so it wasn't as taut as possible. I want to add an extra tie out loop to the center of the long side so that I can set it up in the half pyramid like in the picture but wider. 

I really need to get some tyvek for a groundcloth and something to use as the guy lines. 

No comments:

Post a Comment