Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Tent Review

My tent arrived on Monday, much quicker than I had expected, very happy about that. I ordered a Eureka Spitfire from the Eureka outlet online that deals with factory seconds in order to save some money. These are the ones that for whatever reason could not be sold as 1st quality new products. The reason mine was considered a second? Two sections of the poles were reversed. All I had to do was take off the end cap, flip them around, and thread the shock cord back through and we were in business. I was worried that it was going to be difficult to do and I was just going to end up with a useless pile of aluminium and elastic. But in the end it was really simple and I'm glad that is all I had to do to save $40. The first thing I thought when I picked up the FedEx box was "holy shit this thing weighs nothing!"

Overall I think it's a great tent. Not a lot of extras. It seems to be very well built. Setup is extremely easy. Stake down the top part, attach the poles, pull on the foot of it and stretch it out and it pretty much stands up on its own. Great ventilation without the fly on, and with the fly theres a vent at the top that can be accessed through a zipper at the top of the mesh inside. Adequate elbow room, and I can sit up insdie comfortably.

Then comes the question of keeping your gear dry in foul weather, and this vestibule honestly does not provide much room to harbor gear, but it is there. There is one on the opposite ("rear") side that is inaccessable because the is not door on the "rear" side of the tent. It is usable if you put stuff in before you get in the tent. I threw a Nalgene in there to show some scale. So ill be able to keep some water bottles, boots, my stove, etc. in there.

 

I can see myself tripping over the guy-wire or something stupid like that, but I'll learn. I'm excited to get to spend a night in this, but for now, I'm very happy with this tent.

1 comment:

  1. lol.... I can totally hear you saying all of this in my head as I read it.
    :{D

    ReplyDelete